GUNDAM 00


With the word “Gundam”, certain expectations come to mind: advanced technology, political issues, and mecha action. These were exactly my thoughts when I found out the upcoming release of yet another Gundam series… well, that and young dramatic pilots.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00’s plot is about an organization called Celestial Being whose goal is to globally eliminate wars through their own warfare which centers on the use of highly advanced mobile suits called (guess! guess!) Gundams. With the world divided into three global organizations, UNION, HRL, and AEU, humankind is yet to be united. Can the ambitious Celestial Being achieve worldwide peace with Gundam Meisters Setsuna F. Seiei, Lockon Stratos, Allelujah Haptism, and Tiera Erde in the frontlines?

The little overview I wrote above is just based on my impressions in watching the first three episodes of Gundam 00. I am not fully convinced Celestial Being can actually achieve to eliminate all wars with their method. Haven’t they ever heard of the saying “violence begets violence”? These thoughts of mine are actually echoed in the show, which is a good thing because it means the story could progress in such a way that Celestial Being, though how noble their cause, could be in the wrong. However, the plot’s development could also arrive at a point where Celestial Being would prove themselves actually capable of accomplishing such goal. Because I believe a world without conflict is a dead world, I would not approve of such development. In any case, my interest in this anime is really high because of that.

Of course, the plot couldn’t be as simple as that. I’m already expecting (and have detected) minor and major subplots about the pilots (well, of course), other characters, certain events, and other issues as well. Let’s see… romantic involvement, betrayal, personal drama - I’d expect at least these three among the pilots, or so-called “Gundam Meisters”. And speaking of which, none of them currently appeals to me at all. Their names, to begin with, don’t sound human, except maybe Setsuna’s, which sounds Japanese so he’s not supposed to have a middle initial! And how come he’s the only one with it? Well, I’m sure it has some significance… and it better be good. Hmmph.

So I’m not so impressed with the characters, but the Gundams are pretty cool, especially Exia, which belongs to Setsuna’s. I can’t really speak for majority because I’m easily impressed by these kinds of things, but their GN particles (light particles thingy) made them look almost mystical. Like fairies! Ahahaha, of course not, I’m just kidding, but fairies and pixie dusts came to mind when I saw it. Oh and Exia has a weapon that would remind you of a light sabre. Cool, huh? I love those.

I also liked how Gundam Exia was introduced. There was a demonstration about a mobile suit prototype called Enact, piloted by an egotistical ace pilot, and was supposed to be exceptional. Exia pretty much came out of nowhere (e.g. the sky) and interrupted the little demo going on by engaging combat with Enact. As a result, Enact was quickly destroyed but the pilot was totally unharmed. Exia left with people wondering what that was all about (Celestial Being and its goals were unheard of at that time) and how a mobile suit powerful enough to defeat their own brand new prototype, which was of the latest technology, actually exist.

Another thing that caught my attention was the line “My wishes over their airspace” from the opening song DAYBREAK’S BELL by L’Arc~en~Ciel. I found the English kinda funny but yeah, it is a bit poetic and fitting, actually, for the show. But it really makes me giggle somehow… Hihihi!

Anyway, before I end this review, I just have a quick a note about the subbing. My preferred fan-sub group for this anime is Conclave-Mendoi because I really like the karaoke style and I’m very satisfied with the fonts used. I’ve tried watching an episode subbed by a different group but I didn’t really like it as much. Job well done, Conclave-Mendoi!

Well, that’s about it for my initial review of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. End.

No comments:

Aizat Mahfuz also available on Xboxlive
Join him and fight him
Took chance to keep alive
and experience so many cool things
Always dreaming on my imagination
to continue a fantastic
Blog Writing ever had